A brief history of the Trafalgar Warehouse Apartments building
The Concert Hall
The Concert Hall, now Trafalgar Warehouse Apartments, was opened as ‘The Hall of Science’ in the middle of the 19th century and was at one time called the Nelson Assembly Rooms. It was one of the most popular places in Liverpool for concerts, for the holding of public meetings and the delivery of lectures.
The hall was a spacious building with a gallery on three sides and had a seating capacity of 2700 persons. The Saturday evening concerts were very successful with regular large attendances.
There was a large room beneath the hall in which public meetings were occasionally held.
A Concert Hall poster dated January 10th, 1825 is pictured.
The Louis Kossuth commemorative plaque
Outside the main entrance of the apartments, a blue commemorative plaque can be viewed.
The plaque commemorates Lajos (Louis) Kossuth, the great 19th-century politician, reformer and leader of the Hungarian independence movement from Austrian domination, who made impassioned speeches in the Concert Hall on 14-15th April 1856.
The plaque was unveiled on 20th March 2017 in the presence of the Honorary Consul of Hungary, H.E. Kristof Szalay-Bobrovniczky, the Ambassador of Hungary, the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, and the Lord Lieutenant and High Sheriff of Liverpool, marking the anniversary of the revolution on 15th March 1848 and the anniversary of his death on 20th March 1894.
Photographs of the unveiling ceremony are below.
Cope’s Tobacco Works
The building was bought by Cope Brothers & Company Ltd, a company that manufactured tobacco products in the Lord Nelson Street area from 1848 until 1952, employing around 2000 staff in the 1880s.
What is now the Trafalgar Warehouse Apartments building can be seen on the left of the hand-drawn image below. The main Tobacco Works are sited approximately where the Liner Hotel stands today. The curved roof of Lime Street Railway Station can be seen on the right of the picture.